Saturday, June 6, 2009

After effects of Radiation and Chemotherapy/Cervical Cancer

The morning I went in to have the Smit Sleeve removed I was nervous, because I was told I was going to be fully wake when it was taken out. I couldn't understand how this was going to be a painless procedure, since I had to be put to sleep to have it put in, didn't make any sense to me. I was no longer my original GYN's patient, I had been assigned an older doctor, when I seen him I really got nervous because he was real old, he asked me a few questions and explained how he was going to remove the Smit sleeve and by the time he finished explaining what he was going to do, I was as nervous anymore, I could tell he knew his job well. He told the truth it really didn't hurt, when he was finished it showed it to me, it was a round disc I guess about an inch wide, with a hold in the middle about 3/4, and little holes aroung it so it could sewn in. He told me to get dressed and he would be back to talk to me. As soon as I stood up, I heard something plop to the floor, I looked down and there was something that looked like thin jell-o, and it really stank. When the doctor came back in I told him what had happened (I had cleaned it up by then) he told me that was what usually happened and for a while I was going to have this discharge (that's what he called it) but he forgot to tell me about the pain I would have I guess about 15 to 20 minutes after it came out, it felt like really bad cramps. I found out that the amount of this discharge determined the amount of pain and how long it was going to last, but the smell got to be less and less, so much came out when I felt it coming, if I was laying down I immediately jumped up so I wouldn't mess up my bed, I kept paper handy to put on the floor so I wouldn't ruin the carpet, I would have to just stand there until it stopped oozing out, if I hadn't taken a pain pill earlier I did then to ease the pain. A couple of times I threw my pajama bottoms out, there was no need trying to save them, the smell was something you wanted to get rid of as soon as possible. That condition lasted about 3 weeks and went away and that was in August of 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment